Saturday, July 03, 2010

A Humbling & Memorable Experience

1st July 2010 marks the 42nd year since the inception of the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF). The SAF Day is a day for members of the armed forces to reaffirm their pledge of loyalty and dedication to the SAF as well as the nation. His Excellency, President S R Nathan, DPM & Minister of Defence and Minister of Education, together with CDF and the Service Chiefs graced the event.

This year's SAF Day would be a day we will remember for years to come as it holds more meaning to Garry and I as we would be part of the invited guests list. Garry is 1 of the 15 nominated Best NSman for 2010 and this is the 1st year this is being award to NSmen. It was a priviledge and honour for us to mingle with high ranking officers of the force as well as delegates from the different countries.

This is my 1st close encounter with the President, the ministers as well as the Chief of Army. Initially, I thought that I would get tongue tied and nervous in their pressence but to my relief, my fear was uncalled for :) While I was conversing with President Nathan, I felt very much at ease and it felt as if I was talking to my grandfather. It was such an endearing and humbling experience to be able to hold a conversation with a man of his stature.

What I will remember most is the President holding on to my hand throughout our conversation and photo taking session :) His 1st question to me was "How are you enjoying yourself?" and subsequently he went on to ask where I was working at and I even manage to have a picture taken with him, which came out blur... *siGh* :(

While accompanying Garry on stage to receive his award, I kept having this fear that I might trip over my own feet in front of everyone... Thank god I wasnt the least bit clumpsy and thanks to my parents who taught me how to speak well :) I was able to hold a short conversation with DPM & Minister of Defence Mr Teo Chee Hian :)

Some of his questions to me were "Do you have any kid?" Hahaha... and my answer to that was...  Ünfortunately not at the moment" He then went on to ask if we intend to have any kids and when do we plan to have our 1st... God!~ And I of cos had to give the politically right answer. Hehehehe..... :)

During the mingling session, we also had the opportunity to speak to then newly appointed Chief of Army Chan Choon Seng (refer to last photo) who used to be Garry's CO about 10 year ago. He still remembers Garry by his angmo name instead of calling him by his surname or initials on his uniform. This man is a high flyer and a person that everyone should emulate from and it has been my priviledge to be able to make small talk and even have him share stories of his 2 kids with us :) He doesnt have any airs around him and is very down to earth which is so rare for a man of his status.

1 July 2010 is truely a memorable experience at least for me and I am proud of my love's achievements in the SAF as well as in our daily lives. This would be one of the many stories I will be able to share with my kids and hopefully grandkids one day in the future :)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

0 comments: